Walking, Walking, Walking...


posted by Aspiring To Be...Me on ,

No comments

Man so when I was in Thailand...I walked EVERYWHERE...like to the store, park, mall, work, home, movies and all. These distances weren't short either. Whenever me and my friend would walk home from work it would take us an hour to get home. If any of you no anything about tropical heat...its not what that is. But we did and it wasn't a big deal.

I took public transportation, buses, metros, subways, trains and taxis. Now of course, I had to because I didn't have a car. Most people wanted to splurge and always take taxis which are the most expensive out of all your options; when I would prefer to walk and take in everything that I saw.

I would have never thought that walking was an option ever in life. In the states, its just something that you don't do or its looked down upon as if you can't afford a car. Whereas in Thailand, its the normal mode of transportation.

At first, I didn't realize this concept that most Americans hold until I talked to several people, both young and old, and both had a tone of disapproval when I suggested walking. One of them blatantly said, "What I look like walking anywhere?"

I was in shock. Is it that bad to walk somewhere? I mean its better for the environment, a simple way to keep you in shape and God did give you legs for a reason. I'm pretty sure that he didn't give you legs and feet to sit and push a pedal to a motor vehicle.

It seems to me that most Asians have recognized and implemented the benefits of walking into their daily lives. I say this because I walk my dog twice a day (on most occasions lol). When I walk her in the morning, there are always 3 older women that I see simply walking EVERY morning. Its not a fast paced walk, just a simple walk as if you were walking around in the house. But they do this every morning for long distances. I'm not sure on the nationality of these women, but ALL of them are Asian. Have you noticed that the countries with the most centurians are in Asia? Makes you think huh?

So I have resigned to try and walk as much as possible. Now granted I do live in Fort Worth, Texas where it gets hotter than a firecracker. So I know there will be times when I'm high maintenance and choose to drive, but as long as I'm trying thats all that matters right???

Leave a Reply

Content Disclaimer

LightofManjusha © All Rights Reserved. July 17 2012.