Tibet...What To Do?


posted by Aspiring To Be...Me on , ,

No comments

I've never really known exactly what was going on in Tibet. I always had the idea that bad things were happening, but I didn’t know the specifics (and probably never will).


Yes I know its probably a horrible thing that I’m an International Studies student and had no idea what was really occurring in one of my favorite regions in the world. But to be honest, I don’t like reading or watching the news. It depresses me. I don’t like hearing or knowing about atrocities, mass murders or genocides, or people being forced away from their homelands and their identity being wiped out. Who wants to hear about that? And I know it happens all over the world and the most tragic of events colors the pages of news sites and papers. Can you blame me for not wanting to know the details?


But being in Dharamsala surrounded by Tibetans and their culture, it would be disrespectful not to take the time to learn and understand why they are here.  So I went to the Tibetan Museum located in the Tsuglakhang Complex. This complex houses the Central Tibetan Monastery, 2 temples and the sleeping quarters of the Dalai Lama. The first thing you see as you enter this complex is a monument erected to commemorate the struggle, fight, strength and will of the Tibetan people.  It is only fitting that the museum is directly across from it.
 


The Tibetan Museum was the best way for me to learn about the specific, historical details of the Chinese Occupation of Tibet while not getting to overwhelmed with images. I learned so much from this museum and I’m not sure what I should do from here on out?


I know I can’t ‘hide’ from the world, especially when I want to help make it better. I have to develop a tough skin so I can actually start ‘ACTING’ on my compassion.  Because as I was walking through that museum reading the testimonies of these people and seeing the treacherous journeys they had to endure…some of them facing amputation due to frostbite and others escaping but still being sent back to Tibet and others setting themselves on fire, I was compelled to get off of my butt and actually stand behind what I believe. Stand behind my desire to help those that are in need.


The situation is so politically loaded that a solution is far beyond simple. I mean you have the Chinese government who claims that Tibet is there land. While there is historical evidence that Tibet has been a free, independent country since the British attempted to control it in the 1930's. They had their own postal system, passports, stamps, flag and currency. None of which had any Chinese symbols, emblems or presence.  They were a people who were functioning on their own sufficiently without the need for foreign assistance. They even had politicians traveling to the UK, United States and India to establish trade relations. And that all ended in 1951.


Whats even crazier is that the Tibetan 13th Dalai Lama predicted that this would happen and despite the efforts of the VFF, the Volunteer Freedom Fighters, the Dalai Lama’s prophecy came true.  I sat there and wondered how could such a thing happen in the world? How could any genocide and intentional eradication of a culture happen in the world? I received a hypothesis from one of the curators of the Tibetan Museum. She suggested that it could be due to the karma of the Tibetan people. But the way she phrased it was in no way placing blame on the Tibetans themselves (which would be kind of weird considering that she is Tibetan herself), but rather as a coping mechanism. A way to possibly help Tibetans to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. In saying that it could be a result of karma, the Tibetans would have hope that it will pass. All karma must manifest and just like a fire it will burn out. It will fade away and the sun will rise.


But the question still arises, what should be done? What should the world do about this event that is beyond tragic, beyond an atrocity? What does someone like me do? A person with no political pull or any power? How do I help?


                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Leave a Reply

Content Disclaimer

LightofManjusha © All Rights Reserved. July 17 2012.