Thoughts of Solitude and Silence


posted by Aspiring To Be...Me on ,

No comments

After watching a good chunk of Into the Great Silence (click link for detailed information about the film), I'm reminded of the attraction I have to the monastic life. When first watching the film, I was somewhat disappointed because it was in...silence. I was really battling over whether or not I should continuing watching it. But as I argued with myself, while continuing to watch it, I was drawn in. Drawn into the tranquility of the Carthusian monks. Drawn into the peace and calmness that they embodied.

They live a combined eremetical and cenobitic life. In simple terms, a majority of their life is spent in solitude. They take their meals only in their cell, read, pray, meditate and grow alone. But they also live in a community where on Sundays they come together for a communal meal and take walks together.

It's the perfect combination of community and solitude. That's what I've been desiring for the past couple of months. A life where I have the peace and quiet to grow spiritually and realized the deep connection I have with everything, but still have the opportunity to commune and interact with other living beings on the same path as myself.

I can't help but be drawn to this lifestyle. It may be that this desire is so strong at this very moment because I'm going through a difficult time in my life or it could be because I see it...no...I feel in the depths of my soul that it is the way to realize the deep connection that I've been yearning for, for so long.


I'm not sure and only time will tell which one it really is. But in either case, there is something beautiful in solitude and silence. Something beautiful in dedicating oneself to oneness with all, love for all, to God, to Soul.

Leave a Reply

Content Disclaimer

LightofManjusha © All Rights Reserved. July 17 2012.