The Significance of Me


posted by Aspiring To Be...Me on ,

No comments

Ever since April 24th, 2011, I have gone by my spiritual name, Manjusha. Back in the old days, names actually had a purpose, a meaning if you will. Babies were given names that symbolized important figures or certain virtues and good characteristics. This was done in hopes that the child would grow up to emulate the person or the virtues that they were named after. Although, the naming of babies today does not carry as much importance as it once did, a spiritual name functions in this way.


I choose to go by Manjusha in order to be reminded of my purpose, the goal of my spiritual path. Every time someone calls me Manjusha, I'm reminded of the vows I've taken, of the habits I've vowed to get rid of, of the goals I've set for myself. It's almost like a continual reality check throughout the day. Even if I'm not constantly in sadhana, the moment someone opens their mouth to call me, my spiritual path is ever present in my life. It's like my co-workers and friends are my spiritual teachers without even knowing it.


The name, Manjusha, has a rich history in Buddhism. One of the famous bodhisattvas associated with wisdom name was Manjushri. It means "lamp of light." My Guru gave me this name so that in everything that I do I can remember to be my own light.

When he first told me my spiritual name, I didn't really grasp the importance of it (possibly due to the excitement of taking my vows). But as I meditated on it and mulled over its meaning, I realized how beautiful it was and how significant it was to me.

Being your own light means looking to yourself and only you to guide you. Becoming confident in who you are, your capabilities, skills, your intelligence. Not relying on anyone else to direct your life, your actions, speech and thoughts. I am my own light. I guide myself. No one else. I have to become independent. I have to learn to trust in myself.


Now this is huge for me. Simply, because I always look to others to confirm my decisions, actions and choices. I don't have enough self-confidence to trust that what I have done and said is right. I look to others to tell me what to do, to validate my actions. I don't trust in myself to lead the way. So when he gave me this name, I knew that it was perfect.


But there is another added component to my name and its significance to my journey. Even before I found my Guru, I knew that I wanted to make an impact on this world. I wanted to change people for the better. Get them to open their eyes to the truth and realize that there is so much more to life than what one can see. I want to light others, but I can't do this until I light myself.





My name is my Spiritual Journey. Be my own lamp, so that I can guide others out of the darkness.

Leave a Reply

Content Disclaimer

LightofManjusha © All Rights Reserved. July 17 2012.