Another Hot Morning in Varanasi


posted by Manjusha on , , ,

No comments

For the first time, I woke up HOT and my night's rest wasn't all that great. This was a direct result of electricity failure in India. I haven't had an A/C room during my time in Varanasi when I probably should have seeing as though it is on average 108 degrees but feels like 116. But I was doing fine without it...until last night.

Throughout the night, I tossed and turned, spread out and curled in, among other things and desired so much to uncover any layers that were surrounding me to help with the heat. But some how I think I managed to get a few decent hours of sleep in. But when I awoke this morning, I was still very hot and I had a gosh awful headache.

Usually when this has happened in the past few weeks, I would complain and throw a pity party of how I'm going to have to suffer through things like heat and lack of electricity for another 5 months.  Which would then lead me to think of ways that I can cut my trip short and go home. But for some reason this morning, I didn't have such a thought. I mean yes I thought it was hot, but I was smiling about it. Taking it all in versus complaining about it.

I know this may not sound significant, but it stuck out to me that I wasn't bothered by my headache. I didn't worry that I was going to suffer from heat exhaustion again. Instead, I just readjusted myself and laid back down, staring at the walls, concentrating on the wind that the fan was blowing against my skin, staring outside of my window at the mango trees and the rays of light shining through them and just thinking about me being in India, in Varanasi, the holiest place in the world. The heat was insignificant to all the beauty and blessings that were surrounding me...

*The view outside of my window in Varanasi.

Leave a Reply

Content Disclaimer

LightofManjusha © All Rights Reserved. July 17 2012.